Pennie in her bed

Pennie in her bed
Is my dinner ready yet

intro

intro
Pennie - my 15 year old dog

Monday 28 June 2010

WHERE DO THEY COME FROM

As I am writing this I take it for granted that you all got my retweet and may have read the Big Issue code of conduct.
Licensed Venders such as myself sign this code and agree to abide by the rules . Now I am not perfect and admit at times to have broken some of the rules myself ,but on the whole I stick to them and try to get every person that pays for a magazine to take it ,some wont and tell me to resell it , I thank them for their kindness.
UNLICENSED VENDERS- often forge their own Big Issue ID, as they are not allowed for a number of reasons to sell the magazine , I imagine they get someone they know to purchase magazines from one of the distribution points.They move from pitch to pitch usually at the peak selling times sometimes in a gang. Every magazine they sell means 1 less magazine a genuine vender will sell ,so as you can imagine they can be a hinderance to someone like me trying to get their life into some sort of order .Usually the Big Issue may inform the police of their activity as has happened in Balham , they then check their ID and pitch passes maybe give them a warning 1st time or confiscate their magazines . I did have a problem with these but In my opinion the community police have done a good job of putting a stop to this .
BEGGERS ON TRAINS/USING 1 COPY of the Big Issue as a blagging tool.These dont cause me any direct problems ,but do get the Big Issue and bonafide venders a bad name .Some off them may be suffering genuine hardships and may be in desperate need of money,all I can say on this is that they should get badged properly Ive even offered to take a couple of them to Vauxhall to do this .You could also look at it this way at least they are not mugging or robbing people - but that could be avery thin line .
BEGGERS SAT AT CASHPOINTS OR STATIONS or any other place.I dont feel Im in a position to condem beggers as it is something I have done myself in the not too distant past , also I have known some of them for years and they were my friends. That was until they started sitting round the corner from me with an old copy of the big Issue and messing up my sales. I have talked to the 1 concerned and asked him to make his mind up about what he is doing i.e. either beg or get badged up and sell the Big Issue properly on a designated pitch . I am hoping he takes my advice. because I dont really want to argue about this with anyone .
Sometimes I may get pensioners say they paid someone for a magazine and that person just ran off with the money. I tell them I will report it and if I can afford it I give them 1 of my mags. Its not just old people that can be conned its anyone it could even be YOU so take care and check the venders ID .
I WAS ASKED WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE COME FROM- well there is a big hostel at Ceders Rd-Clapham that takes homeless people directly from the streets, I spent some time there myself . Also Wicks lane ,a couple of places in West Norewood ,Streatham
plus all the ones I dont know about . The staff in these places do everything in their power to make sure residents in these hostels dont disrupt the lives of the locals, but I dont think you can blame the hostels and the troublemakers are a minority.

Being naturally lazy , hungry and wanting to watch a dvd I think Ill cal it a night and hope this has awnsered some of your questions Matt. ps watched Whole Lotta Love vid ,best cover of that song Ive heard.

No comments: